Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Butter Chicken, also known as Murgh Makhani, is one of the most popular Indian foods all around the world. The gravy has a creamy texture to it because of the use of almonds and yoghurt in its preparation. It tastes great with naan and a green salad. The recipe below can serve 6 persons easily.
See Also: BBQ Chicken Breast on the Grill
Indian Butter Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken Boneless, ( Cut into Cubes ) … 1 kg
- Red Chilli Powder … 1 tsp
- Lime Juice … 2 tbsp
- Cinammon Stick … 1
- Peppercorn … 10
- Cloves … 6
- Bayleaves … 2
- Almonds … 10
- Small Cardamom … 2
- Fresh Yoghurt … 1 Cup
- Oil … 3 tbsp
- Onions ( Chopped ) … 2
- Garlic Paste … 2 tsp
- Ginger … 1 tsp
- Corriander Powder … 2 tsp
- Salt … To taste
- Cumin Powder … 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder … 1/4 tsp
- Tomato Paste … 1 cup
- Kasuri Methi … 2 tbsp
- Butter … 3 tbsp
- Chicken Stock … 1/2 Litre
Indian Butter Chicken Recipe Cooking Steps
- Marinate the boneless chicken with lime juice, salt and red chili powder in a bowl. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a pan and roast the cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, bay leaves and almonds till they change color. Add the cardamom seeds and grind to make whole spice powder.
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt, whole spice powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder together.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and and add the onions. Fry till golden brown in color.
- Next add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the chicken and fry till pinkish in color. Pour in the yogurt paste and the tomato puree.
- Now add the chicken stock and kasuri methi. let it simmer on slow flame till the chicken is tender and the gravy is reduced.
- Finally melt the butter in another small pan and then pour it over the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Naan or Chappati.