Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Biryani Recipe is an Evergreen Classic, Needing no introduction. It is aromatic, Heavenly and one of the Most Loved Delicacies of the Subcontinent. It is believed that Mughals were the first to introduce Biryani in North India whereas South India was exposed to its brilliance through the Arabs. Unlike the Pulao, Biryani involves Cooking Rice and Meat separately and finally assembling them together by forming layers of each in a pot. One of the most famous ways of Cooking Biryani is the Dum Method, which is practiced in the Recipe below.See Also: Hara Masala Biryani
Biryani Recipe Ingredients
- Mutton Or Chicken ( Preferably Bony & Fatty ) … 1 1/2 kg
- Basmati Rice ( Presoaked ) … 1 kg
- Yoghurt … 1 Cup
- Salt … 3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder … 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder … 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder … 1 tsp
- Onion ( Thinly Sliced ) … 1
- Garlic Cloves … 6
- Garlic Paste … 2 tbsp
- Ginger Paste … 1 tbsp
- Small Cardamom … 12
- Cloves … 15
- OIl … 1 Cup
- Kewra Essence … 2 tsp
- Yellow Food Color … 1/2 tsp
- Saffron … A Pinch
- Lemon Juice … 1 tbsp
Biryani Recipe Cooking Steps
- In a large pot, put the mutton, salt and garlic cloves along with 2 glasses of water. If you are using chicken, use only one glass of water. Cook on low flame till the meat is tender and the water dries.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 1/2 cup oil and fry the onion in it till it is light brown.
- Next add the ginger paste, garlic paste, cloves, cardamoms, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and coriander powder. Fry it little and then add the meat.
- Simultaneously boil the rice with 1 tbs. of salt and remaining ½ tbs. of lemon juice till it is ¾ cooked. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the meat masala so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping rice layer at the bottom and top.
- Sprinkle on it a solution of Kewra, yellow food color and Saffron soaked in a tbs. of milk or water.
- Keep it covered and on a low flame for about 10 minutes keeping the pot tightly closed to steam cook. When the rice is done, the biryani is ready.
- Enjoy hot with salad or raita.